In recent news, an electronic cigarette battery tragically exploded in a Florida man’s mouth resulting in severe injuries. Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Fl., was smoking the e-cigarette Monday night in his study when his wife heard an explosion. According to WEAR ABC 3 News, who published a transcript of the 911 call from Mrs. Holloway, the details reveal the man may have been smoking what looked like an electronic cigar.
“My husband was smoking an electric cigar, I don’t know if you’ve ever seen those before but it blew up in his face (sobs) His face is all blown up, he’s bleeding.”
Wendy Jenson, Holloway’s neighbor, said he had been using electronic cigarettes for two years prior to the incident after suffering from lung problems due to cigarette smoking. Holloway has since been released from the hospital and is recovering from his injuries.
“What happened is a tragedy, and we hope this is a wakeup call to the industry to institute higher standards,”
says Dan Recio, co-founder of leading electronic cigarette manufacturer, V2 Cigs.
“We took action against the possibility of electronic issues from the very beginning, with safeguards integrated into our batteries like automatic shut off and smart chargers that prevent overcharging. We properly age all batteries before shipment and retest mAh to ensure the highest standards,”
Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District responded to the call.
“I have never heard of or seen anything like this before,”
Parker told ABCNews.com. Although the battery was unrecognizable after the incident, Parker reported finding several 3.0 volt CR123A type batteries charging in the room along with a scorched battery case that appeared to be one for a cigar-sized device.
Although the investigation is still not concluded, the battery type and “cigar” appearance of the device indicate Holloway may have been using a custom made “mod” or modified electronic cigarette utilizing stacked batteries similar to a flashlight. These devices are unlike more popular mini e-cigs which have built in digital monitoring and protections.
Modified e-cig devices have a history of explosions and fires dating back several years due to cheap, unprotected lithium ion batteries and the possibility of overcharging the devices. This can result in an electrical fire inside the device which produces a build-up of hydrogen gas resulting in an explosion.
Chris Hornsby published a YouTube video on February 5th, 2012 of the damage produced when his Ego-T e-cig exploded while charging.
“I was charging one of my electronic cigarette batteries via the USB cable…this Ego battery shot out of the bottom and hit my printer and caught on fire,”
“This shows you just how dangerous some mods can be, and they are a danger to the entire electronic industry. Consumers need to be careful to choose quality products and follow manufacturer specifications. We have strict quality control standards in place to ensure consumer safety,”
That is why reputation of brand is very important when you choose electronic cigarette!
Feb. 15, 2012, @thefloridanewsjournal.com
A Man smoking an electronic cigarette while trying to stop smoking suffered facial trauma when the electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth causing him to loose part of his tongue and front teeth.
The man had been smoking an electronic cigarette when the battery apparently overheated and exploded. The North Bay Fire Department responded to the 911 call near Niceville, Florida.
He also suffered facial burns and is being treated at a burn unit it Mobile, Alabama.
The incident is being investigated by the state fire marshal.